Saturday 8 February 2014

Macaron madness

 


Adriano Zumbo makes a damn fine macaron. If you wanna find out how there are plenty of places online where you can watch him step by step, but me, well I am just too bloody lazy and I have not got any kitchen machinery suitable for the task so I prefer to buy 'em. On the web it says that a well made macaron can be kept in the freezer for up to 6 months. That's a long time!! I thought they were far more fragile than that.

Belly's birthday cake, bought NOT home made - shock shock shock! was decorated with macarons.

They failed the longevity test.

They were collapsing empty shells.

They were a great disappointment.

I was embarrassed.

I bought the cake from HORNERS BAKERY SORRENTO.

It cost $35.

Now this bakery has been in business for more than 30 years. I remember going there when Belly was Belinda, I was married, and we came to visit Nanna and Poppy. It was THE place to go all those years ago and I have been going there all this time. Now I live across the park from it so it's a handy place to go for a fresh loaf and Zig is the fourth generation of my family to get treaties there.

Suffice to say I have a long long association with the place.

So I thought it reasonable to go and have a chat with Rob the son of the founders and now I think the chief baker.

I waited outside so our conversation would not cause any embarrassment in the shop.

Rob popped out and was pleasant enough until I mentioned the cake. I had ordered it Wednesday and when I asked, was assured that it would be made fresh for Thursday.

Rob didn't try to deny the fact the cake was stale and less than it should have been. Instead he explained how the cake was made and that it's a 2 day job and that it was never going to have been made to order with only one day's notice and that the macarons do not last on the ganache layer of the cake and that they would always be less than fabulous.

He made it clear that he was happy to sell a stale cake and that if I didn't know that the macarons would be rubbish then that was my problem. I guess he is right. Let the buyer beware and all that!! He walked away without any concern or apology or comment about the lie told by his staff.

Well that was all quite the pisser!! I like the bread from there and have been happyish to pay their premium for all manner of baked goods. I have recommended them time and time again.

Shit!

So here's my solution. Tell everyone about the shitful customer service and warn against buying the macaron decorated mousse cake and continue to buy my bread there as a last resort.

Oh and I think they use macarons on other cakes as decoration. I reckon we'd all do well not touch them with a pointy stick, the fuckers would collapse into dusty tasteless expensive air.

And finally if you have a complaint about anything bought from this place, you'd be as well going to tell the butcher or the candlestick maker as to bother this baker.

No comments:

Post a Comment